Of Neckties and Constancy

The international website for Andrew's Ties, who, incidentally, make a decent necktie for the price, has an aphorism I think many readers of this blog would appreciate:
Tell any man you like his tie and you will see his personality open like a flower.
The important point here, at least for me, is not that such a compliment bolsters a man's confidence in how he looks. Rather, the point is this: Wearing a tie in this day and age, especially when it's voluntary, is fairly uncommon. If a man does it, he shows that he cares about what he puts on, as opposed to sliding into whatever is merely inexpensive, sufficiently modest, and not unduly confining. If a man feels greater attention in this matter is also valuable to others, it will continue to be valuable to him.

Of course, all this is true for the rest of his clothes as well, but the tie, at least as I see it, is a symbol. When I was growing up, no matter what kind of upheaval visited my dad's life, he always got up, put on a tie, and went to work. If he was unemployed, he did the same thing to go out and look for jobs. Because of this, the weekend t-shirt was special. He had accepted his responsibility every day and the end of the week meant there wasn't any left. He was free to relax and his attire expressed that. When I put on a tie, I feel myself joining my dad and a chorus of other men who have put aside their laziness or fear about the chaos life often brings and accepted the task before them. When someone appreciates that I'm wearing a tie, they're appreciating this decision.

0 comments:

Post a Comment